2010-06-04

Kiwano!

We had Kiwano for the first time!

The Kiwano (also known as the Horned Melon, melano, African horned cucumber, jelly melon, hedged gourd, and/or English tomato) is a fruit native to a region of the Kalahari Desert. When picked green and allowed to ripen, the fruit tastes like a mix of cucumber and kiwifruit. When it's picked fully ripe, it has a banana-like taste.
(Credit: Wikihow)



Ours were purchased at Meijer for $3.99. It really tasted like banana and a bit sour. The texture was interesting. It is mushy. You suck the juice and eat the fleshy fruit around the seeds of the Kiwano, then spitted them out (you can also eat the seeds). The best place to eat is near the sink. We enjoyed the experience. And I would recommend to anyone who never tried it before.



Overall: 3.5/5
Taste: 3.5/5
Texture: 3/5
Fun Factor: 4/5
Would I eat it again: Less likely (I am glad that I tried it once, but I won't buy it again because the texture.)

No comments: